On a  cold July evening, an indefatigable merchant packed his full bags ready
for a journey. The journey would be life changing. The journey excited
him. It would metamorphose his life in the years to come. The  transforming
journey would alter his life for the better, he thought. It would make his
dream life come true. ‘I’ll come prepare the safes later,’ he said to
himself, smiled and went to bid bye his wife.

It was freezing outside. A normal July evening meant low temperatures.
People walking outside could be seen covered in woolen jackets, heavy
scarfs or  thick sheets, this was to keep the cold at bay. The hardworking
merchant didn’t need all that, the journey ahead made his body cold
resistant, he looked at his bags and felt warm. The bags, plus the journey would
bring him a lot of treasure. That alone made his body glow with heat. He
put on a light coat, picked his bags and headed to the port.

At the port.

The port was busy as usual; ships docking, unloading and loading of cargo,
arrival of tourists, checking of goods at the customs, presence of
enterprising merchants like him and a whole lot of activities.
The ship he was to use was ready and he boarded. His voyage would be across the
Indian ocean, to a foreign land, where he would go trade his merchandise.
His trip was exhilarating. the sea was calm, no storm, no wind. Everything
was perfect.

He got to the foreign land, and being an alien, he looked for accommodation
in a hotel. The town’s people were friendly. They showed hospitality to
everyone. The merchant was grateful to the people, for they  would come
to his aid when he had a little predicament. He quickly adjusted to their
way of life and started looking for a place where he could display his
merchandise. For the next one week, the trader was looking for a stall
where he could keep his goods. He finally got one on a Saturday evening.
“I need a room,” the merchant told one landlord after he was shown him.
“How much will you charge me?”
“How big do you want your room to be?” The landlord asked him.
“A 14″ 10″.”
“That would go for 30000 shillings per month.”
“Really? It’s a business premises I want , not a piece of land.”
“I know, all of my rooms are for commercial purposes, it’s either you take it or leave it.”
“o.k then, I’ll move in the following week.”
“Payment first.”
“I’ll do that first thing tomorrow.”

The merchant later moved in the following week as they had agreed.
His business picked up so fast. He made profits as he had expected. The
locals loved him. He had a sweet tongue, and it was easy for him to enthrall
customers. His merchandise was jewelry.

The ladies loved the necklaces he had, men came for his shiny golden rings, when they thought the time was ripe for them to propose to their beauties. Business for him was booming,
even as other traders complained of no business. He was happy with himself.
His plan had worked just perfect. His plan was to carry the goods he had to
a foreign land, and go trade them. For he had heard that people of that
town loved jewelry which was not enough in their stalls. A sailor had told
him this sometime back. He didn’t think of it until the beginning of the
year. He then planned for this trip to the foreign land.

He commerce-d for six months until when his stock was over. Having made huge
profits, he closed his stall and went to his hotel room where he had been
residing since he first came to the town. Full of euphoria and elation, he
gleefully counted all the money he had made. He threw some notes in the air
as he danced like King David. “I’m the happiest man in this town. No one is
as joyous as I am, not even new fathers, Oh my! The profits I’ve made are
not just huge, they are tremendous!” He said out loud. He poured himself a
glass of red wine to celebrate. “A toast for my rewarding efforts!” He said
as he raised his glass up. He then started arranging the notes according to
their denominations. One thousand notes on one bundle, five hundred notes
on one bundle, one hundred notes on another, five shilling coins on one
pile, twenty shilling coins on another and one shilling coins on another.
He tied the notes according to their denominations using a rubber band. He
then went to bed for he was to prepare for the departure to his home.

The entrepreneur spent the following morning checking everything to ensure they were in
order. He went to see his former landlord for a chitchat since they had
become buddies, and to inform him that he was about to leave their ebullient
town. They met at a local bar, where they had some pints as they shared
stories and past experiences they had had.

The merchant and his former landlord at the bar.
The merchant and his former landlord at the bar.

The merchant left the town after a week. Carefully carrying his bags which
now carried hard cash. They were heavy, but he did not ask for assistance
from anyone. He was determined to carry them on his own, even if the money
broke his back. He went to the sea port and boarded a sea liner, which would
cruise through the Indian ocean to his home town. He was so excited.

His bags made him grin at other passengers and wave at strangers. His was a forty eight hour voyage.
The ship docked and having been exhausted by the weight of the bag he had been carrying, he felt  a little drowsy and slumber soon caught up with him. He slept for fifteen minutes before he abruptly woke up. He felt his fore head; he was sweating, and his temperature was high. He had a mild headache. He unzipped one of his bags and took some antibiotics. The merchant always had some drugs with him whenever he went for a long journey. It was a habit he picked from his late father, who was also an industrious merchant. His father would not miss pain killers in the pockets of his shirt. He didn’t like visiting hospitals. One thing he disliked about the public hospitals in his home town were the long queues. One would queue for up to half an hour before being attended to. He always treasured time, and could not waste it as he thought that it would be useful to use that time trading goods. He also didn’t see the need of walking for a distance to go ‘bother‘ medics with ailments which could be treated at home.
The tradesman took the drugs he had and after a few minutes, the headache cooled. He started perusing through an old and torn magazine he had but felt asleep. He slept for two hours and in his sleep he had a dream.